Authorisation to employ unregistered person as teacher
The Board may, under certain circumstances, and only if satisfied it is appropriate to do so, authorise an employer to employ an unregistered person as a “teacher” who does not hold the prescribed qualifications for registration for a specified period not exceeding a calendar year.
A person who is thus employed usually is referred to as being “employed under authorisation” or “the authorised person”.
Normally, persons employed under authorisation are subject to the provisions of the Act unless explicitly exempted in the Act.
People employed as support staff (including, for example, teachers’ aides, teachers’ assistants, student teachers and unpaid volunteers) are not employed under authorisation.
An application for authorisation may not be made by an employer in relation to an unregistered person who is, at the time of the application:
- Disqualified from registration by the Board;
- Disqualified from teaching under an authorisation by the Board;
- Suspended from registration; or
- Suspended from an authorisation.
Categories of authorisation
It is Board policy that in determining an application for authority to employ an unregistered person, the Board normally will consider the requirements in relation to the following categories of persons:
Category one - Applicants who do not hold the prescribed qualification
Applicants in this category are experienced teachers and generally will have completed at least three years of tertiary education including at least one year of approved initial teacher education.
Category two - Applicants who have specialist knowledge and skills
This category relates to people who have specific knowledge and skills required for a particular teaching position, most commonly music and language.
Category three - Teach for Australia Associates
This category relates to people who are enrolled in the Teach for Australia program and to employers seeking authorisation to employ an Associate as an unregistered person in the Northern Territory.
Category three applicants must also provide the following information with their applications:
• Written verification that the Associate is enrolled in the Teach For Australia program
• Evidence (teaching timetable) that the Associate is teaching the subjects in which they are trained and is to include in situ university study arrangements/commitments
• Mentoring suitability statement and arrangements. Provide any documentation required by the Teach for Australia Program in outlining such suitability and arrangements
• A comprehensive statement outlining the orientation arrangements and subsequent support structures in place to monitor the Associate’s competence and well-being
• A detailed overview of the employer’s orientation/induction program that includes all information provided to the Associate.
Category four - Pre-service Teachers
This category relates to students who are in their fourth year of study or completing a postgraduate initial teacher education course.
Category four applicants must also provide the following information with their applications:
• Evidence of satisfactory academic progress
• A copy of a most recent practicum report
• A written recommendation from the Head of School (or their delegate)
• A statement from the employer to the effect that the position they are applying for is hard to staff or than an indigenous pre-service teacher in a community is best suited to fill the position.
Application for authorisation
An employer may apply to the Board for authorisation to employ an unregistered person as a teacher for a specified period of time not exceeding a calendar year.
The Board considers each application on its own merits and on a case-by-case basis.
An application must:
- Be made in the approved form
- Include certain details
- Be accompanied by the prescribed documents
- Be accompanied by the prescribed fee.
Initial applicants for authorisation to employ an unregistered person as a teacher must complete the approved form (FORM C PDF).
Where an unregistered person is to be employed under authorisation at more than one school, a complete new application has to be submitted by each employer.
Form C is in two parts: Part A is submitted by the employer and Part B by the prospective employee. It is the responsibility of both parties to ensure all the relevant sections of the form are complete.
Repeat applications for authorisation
If the Board grants an authorisation in relation to a calendar year, there is no right of renewal of the authorisation for a subsequent year. A fresh application must be made if required.
Repeat applications for authorisations incur a reduced application fee where the same school, teaching position, subjects, levels and supervision arrangements are the same as the preceding year.
If an application for registration or authorisation has previously been lodged with the Board in relation to the prospective employee, it is suggested you contact the TRB office to determine what documents you need to provide.
PLEASE NOTE CATEGORY 1 AND 2 APPLICANTS: where the application is a repeat authorisation, the unregistered person must provide evidence of enrollment in an initial teacher education course and/or demonstrate satisfactory progress towards the award of the qualification to provide eligibility for teacher registration.
Request to vary an existing authorisation within same calendar year
The Board will consider requests from an employer to vary an existing authorisation within the same calendar year.
The Board must be notified in writing, of any change to:
- The teaching arrangements (e.g. teaching position, subjects, year level/stage of schooling) in relation to the authorised person
- The employment details (term of appointment, mentoring/supervision requirements) in relation to the authorised person
Where an unregistered person is to be employed under authorisation at more than one school, a complete new application has to be submitted by each school.
For current fees for an initial (new) application or a repeat application please refer to the Teacher Registration Schedule of Fees for Form C.
Initial Application for Authorisation: the new application fee applies
Repeat Application for Authorisation (same terms): a reduced fee applies if the authorisation is to be on the same terms as the preceding calendar year.
‘Same terms’ means the same school, teaching position, subjects, levels and supervision arrangements as the preceding year.
Repeat Application for Authorisation (different terms): the new application fee applies if the authorisation is to be on different terms as the preceding calendar year.
‘Different terms’ means different school, teaching position, subjects, levels or supervision arrangements as the previous authorisation.
NB: the repeat authorisation must be in relation to the same person for whom an authorisation was in effect during the immediate preceding calendar year (i.e., the employment of the person as a teacher in the NT is continuous; there is no break in the continuity of service).
Request to Vary Existing Authorisation (variation within same calendar year): $nil fee.
NB: The application fee payment covers the authorised person for an entire calendar year. That is, if an authorisation is granted initially for Term 2 only in a particular calendar year and the employer wishes to extend the appointment to the end of the year, there is no additional fee for requesting a variation to the existing authorisation to the end of the year. Moreover, the application fee payment covers the same person if employed under authorisation at multiple schools during the same calendar year.
If you need assistance in completing this application please contact The TRB office.
Page last updated: 17 July 2019