If you are a registered teacher or a person authorised to teach you are legally required under the Teacher Registration (Northern Territory) Act 2004 to notify the Board of certain changes in your circumstances.
Change in criminal history
You must notify the Board, within 14 days after being committed to trial or being found guilty of a sexual or indictable offence. You must notify of the offence and whether you have been committed to trial or found guilty:
- No matter whether it was committed in the Northern Territory, interstate or overseas
- Including charges for convictions not recorded
The definition of sexual offence is found in section 68 of the Teacher Registration (Northern Territory) Act 2004.
Use the Notification of Indictable Offence Form to advise the Board of a change in your criminal history.
Change in personal circumstances
You must notify the Board, within 90 days, of changes to your:
- Residential address
- Telephone numbers
- Email address
- Business address where you are teaching
- Any health condition of which the Board has been notified.
To change your contact details or school employer details please log on to your TRB on-line services.
Use the Notification of Change of Name Form DOCX l Notification of Change of Name Form PDF to advise the Board of a change of name. A certified copy of the relevant document (e.g. marriage certificate) is required.
An organisation that employs a person as a teacher is legally required under section 67A of the Teacher Registration (Northern Territory) Act 2004 to notify the Board if any of the following events occur:
- The employer dismisses the teacher in any circumstances;
- The person resigns or otherwise leaves the employment of the employer, in circumstances that call into question the person's competence or fitness to teach;
- The employer takes any action against the person in relation to the serious misconduct , or lack of competence or fitness to teach of the person.
The notification must be made within 28 days after the occurrence of the event and specify full details of the event and the circumstances involved.
Use the Employer Notification Form to notify the Board of any of the above events.
Changes to employment details of person employed under an authorisation
An employer granted an authorisation to employ an unregistered person must, without undue delay, notify the Board of any change to the employment details or teaching arrangements of the unregistered person:
- Employment details includes the school/s where the person is to teach and whether the person is to teach full-time or part-time;
- Teaching arrangements includes the subjects the person is to teach and the level at which the person is to teach.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to advise of changes to an authorisation.
Monitoring compliance - Annual Return
By the end of the first term of each school year, employers must give the Board its Annual Return specifying the name of each person who taught at the employer's schools at any time during the period 1 January to 1 March of that year. The Board contacts employers mid-term 1 of each year in relation to the annual return.
In order to determine compliance with the requirement that only registered teachers or persons employed under an authorisation can be employed in schools the Board undertakes an audit of the persons employed to determine whether they are registered teachers or authorised to teach under the Teacher Registration (Northern Territory) Act 2004.
Further information regarding employer obligations
Section 76A of the Teacher Registration (Northern Territory) Act 2004 provides protection from civil or criminal liability for persons giving information to the Board in good faith. Please refer to the Employer Obligations Fact Sheet for further information.
Police transfer of information
Northern Territory Police provide information to the Board in accordance with section 75 of the Teacher Registration (Northern Territory) Act 2004.The NT Police Notification Form is used by police to notify the Board.
Page last updated: 30 May 2019